Thailand Visa – Marriage visa (Non-O Marriage visa)

Foreigners who are legally married to a Thai national may apply for a Non-immigrant O visa based on marriage in Thailand.

According to Immigration Act B.E.2522, a foreigner married to a Thai national is eligible to apply for a marriage visa in Thailand. This visa will allow you to stay in Thailand for a period of one year, and it can be renewed annually from within Thailand, as long as you continue to remain married and meet all the criteria for the visa.

The Thailand Marriage Visa also allows the holder to work in Thailand when the visa holder is able to obtain a valid Thai Work Permit to go along with the visa.

Qualifications of an applicant who wants to obtain a Thailand Non-O Marriage Visa.

  1. legally married to a Thai citizen
  2. The applicant must also be able to show an income of 40,000 baht. (A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income)

or 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account that has been in the account for at least 60 days or 2 months at the time of application.

  • The bank deposit requirement changes to three months on subsequent annual re-applications. To meet the monthly income requirement, income from outside of Thailand can be in the form of a pension, investment income or other sources.
  • Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act B.E.2522 (A.D.1979)

Documents required for Thai Marriage Visa

  1. Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months and must have 2 blank pages)
  2. Copy of your Thai marriage certificate (both versions);
  3. Copy of your Thai wife’s ID card
  4. Copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan (House Registration Papers)
  5. Copy of a map to your residence in Thailand
  6. Copy of photos showing you and your wife together (House, Inside of the House, Family Picture, Outside of the House)
  7. Copy of your bank book showing 400,000 THB in your bank account deposited at least 3 months prior to visa application or copy of your income showing 40,000 THB per month in income
  8. Bank Guarantee and Bank Statement

Renewal of your Retirement visa

It is important to note that renewal of a Thai retirement visa is subject to the same requirements as when applying for the visa for the first time. In addition to this any proof of funds in your Thai bank account must have been deposited and cleared at least 3 months prior to your visa renewal application date.

As well as providing proof of your current income and bank balance you will also be required to supply the following additional documents:

  • A completed TM7 form.
  • Your passport.
  • Two passport sized photos (4 x 6 cm).
  • Copies of your passport and the relevant pages.
  • A copy of your bank book or passbook.
  • A letter from your Thai bank confirming the status of your account.


  1. The initial validity of stay that you will get upon your first Thai Marriage Visa application would be 3 months, before the expiration of that period you can renew it for 1-year.
  2. If there is a divorce your Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa will become invalid and you will be required to leave Thailand immediately. In some cases, you may be allowed to remain in the Thailand until the Thai Marriage Visa expires, but you must first check at a Thai Immigration Office.

Re-entry Permit

You may leave Thailand at any time, but you must first obtain a re-entry permit. A re-entry permit can be requested at any Thai immigration office or at an international airport in Thailand. If you leave Thailand without first obtaining a re-entry permit, you risk losing your visa when you re-enter the country. The fees are 1,000 Baht for a single re-entry, and 3,800 Baht for a multiple re-entry permit.

90-day Reporting

Holders of a Thai retirement visa must report their current address to a Thai immigration office every 90 days. This can be done three ways:

  • In person at a Thai immigration office
  • By mail
  • Through an agent who has the Power of Attorney to report your status

If you are not in Thailand on the date your 90-day reporting is due, you do not need to report your status, your 90-day reporting will begin again from day one on the day you re-enter Thailand.

The office hours for the Jarrett Lloyd are Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Messages can be left at any time in our contact form or email: