Type of visa in Thailand

Thailand is one of the most visited destination in the world. If you plan to spend your holiday or living in Thailand, you will need to learn which type of visa you have to apply.  Below is the type of visa in Thailand.

Tourist Visa

If you plan to visit Thailand for the traveling purpose, you are tourist and you need to apply the Tourist Visa before you fly into Thailand. A tourist needs a Tourist Visa to stay in Thailand for a period of 15 or 30 days. The Tourist Visa to Thailand that can either be a multiple or single entry and can be extended for up to another 30 days by means of a visa run. You can convert the visa to a Non-Immigrant Visa which will require you to go to the nearby city or country such us Penang and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

A tourist is not allowed to work or conduct business in Thailand. If you wish to do a business in Thailand, you will need to apply for the Business Visa.  

Non-Immigrant visa

Non-Immigrant visa is normally a single-entry visa and valid for 90 days from the date of issue. This visa is issued to foreigners who wish to enter Thailand for study, business, investment, retirement and other purposes and can be extended for 7 days.

The Non-Immigrant Visa can be converted to a 1-Year Non-Immigrant visa stay (i.e. work visa, marriage visa, retirement etc.) The process to convert the Non-Immigrant visa to a one-year visa can be processed and obtained inside Thailand.

One Year Non-Immigrant visa

The one-Year Non-Immigrant visa is normally a Multiple-Entry visa and valid for use within one year from the date of issue. The is the visa for foreigners who want to obtain a long-term visa stay to Thailand. You are allowed to stay 90 days per entry which means, you will have to go to border and have your visa stamped at the immigration (visa run) every 90 days.

The Multiple-Entry One-Year Non-Immigrant visa can be extended to 3 months on or before the visa expiration date.

Business Visa

The Business Visa is issued for foreigner who want to do business legally in Thailand. It is also known as Non-Immigrant Business Visa (Non-B). This can be best applied for before coming to Thailand.

You can get a work permit, open a bank account in Thailand; however, you still need to do a visa run every 90 days.

There are 2 categories in which foreigners can enter under this type of visa:

  1. Non-Immigrant B Visa (Conducting Business)
  2. Non-Immigrant B Visa (Employment)

Marriage visa

The Thai Marriage Visa is issued to a foreign national who is married to a Thai and meets the other requirements of the immigration bureau. It is a One-Year Extension of Stay Based on Marriage. The visa is renewable every year and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply).

The Thailand Marriage Visa also allows the holder to work in Thailand when the visa holder is able to obtain a valid Thai Work Permit to go along with the visa.

Retirement Visa

The Retirement Visa is normally called Non-Immigrant OA-Long Stay Visa. The visa can be valid either for a single entry or multiple entries and allow the holder to a long term of One year stay in Thailand.  The visa is renewable every year and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply).

The office hours for the Jarrett Lloyd are Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Messages can be left at any time in our contact form or email: contact@jarrettlloyd.com